Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

My First Full Marathon

I did it!  I ran my first full marathon.  I ran in the Disneyland Half-Marathon a few years ago while we were living in California.  Yesterday, I participated in the PF Chang Full Marathon here in Phoenix and I completed it with the time of 4:53:13.  My goal was to finish in four and half hours but the last six miles were brutal.  I'm happy that I made it in just under five hours. 

I appreciate all the support of family and friends.  Linda and the kids came to cheer me on.  I can't tell you how much it meant to have someone on the sidelines encouraging me on.  I also appreciate my friends at Arizona CityFest for sponsoring my run.  The CityFest is the Luis Palau event that is coming to Tempe Town Lake on March 19-20.  I want to thank all the people from New Hope Community Church in Gilbert and the many others who pledged their support by giving money to CityFest.  Lastly, I want to thank all the volunteers who cheered the runners on along the way.  Again, I can't tell you how much it meant to have someone standing on the side saying, "You can do this" even if that person is a complete stranger.  I passed one woman on the sidewalk who kept saying, "You can do this runners!" as we all slowly (and I do mean slowly) ran by her.  I asked her, "How about those of us who stopped being runners a few miles ago and we are now just staggerers?"  She smiled and said to me, "You can do it too!"  I asked one of the many police officers if he was picking up hitch-hikers and taking them to the end.  He too smiled and told me that he wasn't allowed.


Even though at the end of the marathon I vowed to never do it again and even though it took me the rest of the day on Sunday to recover, this morning I'm not so sure.  I feel pretty good and it was a lot of fun.  I like running everyday and it's nice to have a goal in mind.  My sister, Karen, who has run in many marathons is already talking about doing the PF Chang Marathon with me next year.  Who knows?

No comments: